That summer heat we’ve been waiting for is coming up fast! Staying cold can be a struggle during this season, and our efforts often lead to energy being wasted. These hot tips will keep your house cool and your energy bill even cooler.
Top 7 Tips
- Tune up your air conditioner. Before it’s time to turn it on, get a professional to come in and take a look at it. This ensures that it runs efficiently and it will be less likely to break down.
- Inspect your home for leaks and poor insulation. Check every window and door for air leaks and have them repaired, and go into the attic to make sure that your insulation is in good shape. It’s important to make sure that hot air is staying out and cool air is staying in.
- Don’t block vents. Keep furniture and other objects away from your vents so your air conditioning can circulate properly.
- Do block out the sun. When the sun shines in through your windows, it warms up your home and makes your air conditioning work harder. Use window treatments or awnings to keep the sun out and go outside instead if you want to enjoy its heat.
- Get a smart thermostat. These can be controlled from your phone so that your home can start cooling off before you get there, instead of being on all day. Keep in mind that it does not cool your home faster when you turn the thermostat way down before bringing it up to the ideal temperature. Set it to exactly the right temperature from the start to avoid wasting energy.
- Grill food on a barbecue. Instead of warming your house up with the oven, step outside and grill your food. Try these dishes, and you’ll truly enjoy this change of cooking method.
- Turn off the air conditioner at night. If the temperature outside gets cold enough at night, open your windows instead and stay cool for free.
We hope that these tips will help you see a much lower energy bill this season! Have a great summer and visit us online or call 701-232-1991 for any assistance you need with your electrical systems.